Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's a Big One!

Our doctor is fabulous. He does this thing when he looks in kids ears where he tells them he is looking for birdies, then makes the most realistic bird whistling noises while looking in their ears with the little looky-thingy. (Yes, that is the technical name. Look it up!) The kids are so enthralled by the sound that they sit very still, just listening. Our doctor is a genius. Anywhoo, Emma has been through this a lot, so she knew exactly what was going on. She was convinced that Grant's owies yesterday were because the birdies in his ears grew too big so they were pushing out and that was causing him pain. She even told the doctor her suspicions, like the little medical professional she is.

In fact, my suspicions were right and he has a raging ear infection. He is now drugged and happy, and does not seem to be in pain today. I was able to get a hold of Marty, and he was able to meet me for the appointment which was a lifesaver. Thank the Good Lord for that one! Overall, the appointment went smoothly. It did take forty minutes for the doctor to see us, but when you make a last minute appointment at the end of the day, you have to expect a delay.

Our doctor told us we were the "talk of the town" with Drew's pneumothorax, and one of the doctors who treated him in the hospital stopped in to say hi. It was actually kind of fun to see everyone, and we were back in today for Drew's two week checkup. I was able to leave the others behind, though, thanks to Amy (Thanks, Amy!) because we are not that stupid. The last thing I needed was a baby who was just circumcised, crying but being drowned out by screaming two year olds who are missing their nap, as well as the brilliant mind of the four year old telling me, "Mommy, I think Ben is crying because he is hungry. Ben, do you want a cookie?" when I have no cookies to give. Nope, wasn't going to do it.

Drew's appointment today went great. He has grown an inch and is up to 9lb 2 oz, so he is feeding well. He passed out after the appointment and has not been awake much of the day, so he is either really tired or he will be up all night. Let's hope for really tired!


Love my babes said...

I have one of those fabulous doctors too. Keep yours they are one in a million!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your dr. let you in to check those little ears. I think I took my daughter off of bottled milk (I don't know what you are doing) at about 18 mos and most of her ear infections disappeared. She had a tendency to back up to the couch lay her head flat and drink from her bottle - NOT a good thing for their short eustation tubes - in fact JUST the thing to encourage an ear infection.
Just one more thing ...
God bless and so glad that Drew is 2 weeks old - how did THAT happen ... seems like he was just born the other day - I know - not to you... :)

Debbie said...

This is my first visit. I'm glad he is doing well. You must have had a scary time.